Thursday, March 27, 2014

Watch what you say when on pain meds

Hmmmm I've been meaning to post since my last post went public. At that time I had just had emergency surgery the night before and didn't realize til latter that the entry was posted. Oops! I had written that post back in Oct but never finished it. I guess with having the morphine pump there things were a bit hazy. Oh well I guess I could have said or done a lot worse of things so the few things I do regret aren't much considering. Perhaps the first 24 hours after having an emergency surgery they should not give you a computer and internet access. Oh but then I wouldn't have made it through the first 24 hours. I'm an internet addict. What would I have done without my computer? It was the first thing I asked be brought to me when I realized I would be having surgery. If I ever had to choose between internet or electricity hands down internet would win out every time. I must feel connected to other people and internet helps me feel connected.

So what exactly lead to my emergency surgery? Things were going along swimmingly. January, the month I dred was almost over. That Thursday I had tutored my private student and was at the center in Rochester with my second student I see there. All of the sudden I got this heat in the middle of my rib area about ten minutes into the lesson. I remember thinking that's odd and went to get a drink of water. I started teaching the lesson again but after a few minutes I knew I needed to go get checked out. I told my student that I wasn't going to be able to finish found the director and left the center. My plan was to drive to Dover since I was in Rochester and wasn't even sure where that hospital was. I also felt that Dover had a better reputation then Rochester. I quickly gathered up all my belongings and out the door I went. I didn't get far. Perhaps 500 ft to the Walgreens when I decided I couldn't drive to the hospital. I pulled into Walgreens and dialed 911.




The ambulance gave me the choice of going to Rochester or Dover. I stuck with Dover and we were off. My insides felt like they were burning. Pain was coming from the lower right hand side and going up under ribs. Ouch!!The ambulance people couldn't get an iv in nor could the people at the hospital. I waited for a few hours and nothing was being done. At this point I was pretty certain that I had apendicitious. The nurse that came in the room yelled at me for screaming. I was like I can't help it my insides are burning. I have been here 3 hours and you haven't even put an iv in. She said the they couldn't do anything until I saw the Dr. Finally 10:30 pm and they take me to scan. After the scan the nurse came in and gave me something for the pain. At this point I think I text my parents to let them know what is going on and that most likely I'll need a ride home. Things get hazey after that. I do remember them being in the room when the Dr. came in the room and saying that there was fluid leaking out of my stomach and I needed emergency surgery. I think I texted my Dr. I had texted her earlier while in the ambulance. The beauty of having my drs text number. I hardly ever use it but if any time was the time it was that day. When the Dr came in I remember signing papers for consent to operate. I don't remember getting an iv. The er drs had avoided doing that because I had warned them I usually have to have a picc line. I think it was about 2:45 am when I came out of surgery. I always wake right up once they aren't giving me sleepy medicine. Sometimes the Drs have tried to put me out for procedures and the meds dont work. Once I even had endoscope done and was talking and remembering everything that happened. I asked the nurse why I didn't fall asleep that time and her answer was they didn't give me enough stuff. lol.

When I finally woke I could tell this wasn't going to be as simple as expected. They were saying at least a week in the hospital. Ugh! I had a ng tube down my throat to keep any gastric juices from getting in and a cath in. I also had a jp drain and pain pump. The nurses kept telling me that I wasn't using the pain  pump enough. Well I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. I think this is when I sent that blog out. I was thinking I would write and let people know what was going on. Somehow the wrong blog entry was posted. Opps! I was so glad that I had my computer back I just got right on. I should have given myself some time before they let me loose with my computer and the internet. lol. I should know myself by now. Most times I take pain killers I go the opposite way. I almost get hyper and I'm extremely chatty. According to my mother this also occurred when she would give me medications like dimeatap when younger. All the meds that usually put someone to sleep don't have much effect on me. I've tried many different drugs and yet none have seemed to work. Leave it to me with being a tough nut to crack. lol. I'm sure unique. 

The week stay was very hard on me. I hate hospitals and I have extra concerns that make hospital care extremely stressful for me. I was so glad to get out of the hospital the next Friday. I had begged and pleaded to get out of the hospital. I let them take my picc out of me and I went home. I'm the worst at being patient and that is what I was supposed to do. Grrr By the next Sunday I had a uti. Ugh!! When I finally got on my feet I went back to the center and the director said I couldn't continue with the tutoring program. I am still very upset with this. The program had been my complete focus this year. I had spent hours on classwork and preparing lessons. I already had 45 hours on lessons taught. I missed my kidos too. Now they aren't receiving services and I had one girl that is in so much need. I later found out that our director had resigned and 2 other girls out of five were not continuing either. Say what? 

Now I'm not so sure of what I should do. I put some much into the training but have nothing to show for it on my resume. It now will look like I have a big gap in the resume. I'm concentrating on looking for teaching jobs for next year. I've continued to tutor my private student every week and this summer may pick up another girl going into 2nd grade. I wish finding a job what just happen. I feel like I've been waiting for so long and once that happens I can get on with my life. I know I'm good at teaching. That is what all the parents tell me. Sometimes I tend to forget this though because the not being able to get a teaching job has dictated my worth. I had this order that life needed to happen and when I decided to quit my job teaching in VA and move back to NH the plan fell flat. I regret quitting now but I really felt that coming back with teaching experience would help me get a teaching job in NH. At the time I made that decision I was really missing NH and my family. My sisters had gotten engaged, dad retired etc. I didn't want to miss the family stuff that was happening. I knew I didn't want to miss out on relationships with my future nieces and nephew. I missed how safe I felt in NH. In Arlington I always had to lock my doors. I couldn't let down my guard for safety. In NH it is a total different feeling. I love small town USA. Knowing your neighbors etc. Now I need to move forward. I'm tired of feeling stuck. I just want to teach. Sigh!!


I'm going to try to blog a lot more. I always am thinking of blog posts I should write. I'm just not sure if I will post on this public blog or my private one. Problem is on this one I have to watch what I say on this one. Yet on private one sometimes I ask for feedback and I don't get any. I need some sort of place to express my thoughts since there are many times I don't say what I feel.



My latest youtube videos. First one finished when I got out of the hospital. Second one I had been working on since before Christmas when my friends daughter Kendall was in the hospital. The finishing up of that video also happened in the hospital. LOL Lesson learned. Kendall's family is doing a benefit on Sat in Nashua to help out with all the drs bills.  Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment